It’s that time of year that many people get excited and energized to go to a haunted house. They love the suspense of what is lurking around the corner. I know so many who thrive off this adrenalin rush. Are you one of them? Or are you like me and hate being caught off guard?
If you are one of these who love it, can you say the same thing about your home? Do you know what is lurking in the corner of that pantry? The pantry is one of the most neglected areas in a home. Most people I know would not be able to give me a detailed inventory of their pantry. Or even a semi-detailed inventory of their pantry.
Pop Quiz: Make a list of 10 items (and quantities) of what you think is in your pantry. (no cheating…don’t look). After your list is complete, compare your list to the actual contents.
How did you do? 100% - you rock! 50% - average. 25% or less – you better keep reading.
I love organizing a pantry! Why? Because in just a few simple steps, a huge impact can be made. And my experience has given me the gift of implementing simple systems in a short amount of time.
Here are the few simple steps I was referring to above.
1. Take everything out of pantry. This is where the pantry may say BOO! to you but stay brave. It is worth it.
2. Toss/recycle/compost all expired, almost empty items. Donate all items that are not expired but no one in your household will ever eat or you have duplicates that will not be consumed before they expire.
3. Wipe down all the shelves and sweep the floor if needed.
4. Return items to pantry, that belong in the pantry. Do not put anything back that does not belong in there!
5. Step back and admire your efforts. And feel free to show it off to the rest of the family.
Halloween may be scary but your pantry shouldn’t be!
Written by: JENNIFER GOWLER, DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS