The Organization & Relocation Olympics...16 Days to Organizing Gold!
What has 88 countries, 98 events, 15 winter sport disciplines, and more than 2500 athletes?
Yes, the Winter Olympics start today and our evenings are about to be filled with highlights of the best in the world as they compete in ski jumping, luge, figure skating, and snowboarding, with a lot in between. (Curling, anyone?)
The Olympics this year are in Sochi, Russia, and the somewhat mystifying slogan for the games is “Hot. Cool. Yours.” Many athletes have arrived and are chilling in the village, playing video games, going on bike rides, managing their jet lag, and checking out what $51 billion builds (hopefully that price tag includes hot water and shower curtains--early reports say otherwise!)
Why am I so interested in the Olympics, you ask?
Well, for one thing, I admire and am inspired people who just go for it and who strive to be the best at what they do. I think most Olympic athletes probably fit that description. I also like organizing challenges. Think about the logistics of getting that many people, that many events, that many systems in place for things to run smoothly... and all on the world stage! This is definitely not for the faint of heart.
Coming off the forward momentum of GO Month and in honor of the 2014 Winter Olympics, our wonderful project manager, Jen, thought it would be fun to give you a challenge a day via social media. For the next 16 days, in a parallel process to that day’s Olympic events, we will provide step-by-step instructions to organize one area in your home or office. Encourage your family and friends to participate and go for the gold!
Some of the challenges may only take a few minutes, and some may take hours. However, you won’t have to be in the best shape of your life to compete in these Olympics, and you won’t even have to travel to Sochi! You won’t need a fancy outfit (in fact, many of these challenges can be done in your pajamas) or a sponsor. You just need your willingness and your determination--and maybe a container or two.
Your homework to get ready for the challenge is simply to think about which area of your home or office could benefit from your Olympic organizing effort. Is it a cluttered desk? A bulging pantry? The play room? A master closet with sizes you haven’t worn in years?
Here’s how it will work:
- take a photo of your space before you begin the challenge
- upload it via our social pages or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org
- take and submit a photo of your space after you’ve completed the challenge
- submit photos as many times as you want
- share your progress, questions, and insights with us on Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn
- we will select a gold, silver, and bronze prize for best organizational effort at the end of the 16-day competition
- Gold Prize • 4 hours of professional organizing from Org & Relo (a $300 value)
- Silver Prize • 2 hours of professional organizing from Org & Relo (a $150 value)
- Bronze Prize • 45-minute phone consultation with Sheryl (a $67.50 value)
- Ultimate Gold Prize • A fresh, stress-free, organized space!
(*organizing services are for local (CO) participants only and may not be substituted for cash.)
Taking it on may not be easy but, in the end, you will feel like a winner. Just picture yourself in your organized space with the gold around your neck.
Ready... Set... GO!
Happy (Olympic) Organizing!